I love fruits of all kinds when learning to bake. I love the fresh smell of lemons and limes and especially oranges when using the peel. Just gives you a fresh scent when baking. I almost wished I would have added more to this recipe so the flavor would burst through a bit more. But either way, these tarts are a fresh dessert for any occasion. Such as baking at 9:30 pm to have a little snack?? Yep, that’s a good idea..
I cheated a bit on this one. Not afraid to mention that. I had some pastry puffs in the freezer and thought, well I sure can’t let those go to waste. I’ll include the recipe for the pastry, but if you’re feeling like me and wanting to add just a bit of home made to it, go right on ahead. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that at all! Why would I? I just did it!
These would be fun little desserts for a baby shower or a bridal shower. Or….as I said, just because you need to bake something to have on hand for a little snack!!
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour (or whatever you have on hand)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- Citrus peel cutouts, if desired (I didn’t have anything to cut out the peel so I didn’t get to do this) 😦
- 1 Heat oven to 375ºF. In medium bowl, mix 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup sugar, the milk, vanilla and salt with spoon. Stir in 1 1/3 cups flour.
- 2 Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Press each piece in bottom and up side of small muffin cup, 1 3/4×1 inch, ungreased or lined with paper baking cups.
- 3 In medium bowl, mix cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, the egg yolk, orange peel and orange juice. Spoon slightly less than 1 tablespoon mixture into each cup. Sprinkle with coconut.
- 4 Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is light brown around edges and filling is set. Cool slightly; loosen from cups with tip of knife. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Top with citrus peel just before serving. Store covered in refrigerator.
- Have a great rest of the week.
- Patricia – Two Girls Cooking 😉
- Betty Crocker