- I feel as though I haven’t done much “summer cooking” at all this year. It’s too hot or it’s raining, or I’m just too busy and needed to get a meal prepared, such as this one, in a hurry so we could eat right away at dinner time.
- I’ve made a lot of things in the slow cooker that I normally would see baked in the oven. Love making the meatloaf, ribs, and now this lasagna. This is a first for me with the pasta. Super easy to make.
- Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound ground turkey lean
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 container (15 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 Cook ground turkey and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in marinara sauce, basil and salt.
- 2 Mix 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and the cottage cheese and Parmesan cheeses. (Refrigerate remaining mozzarella cheese while lasagna cooks.)
- 3 Spoon one-fourth of the ground turkey mixture into 6-quart slow cooker; top with 5 noodles, broken into pieces to fit. Spread with half of the cheese mixture and one-fourth of the ground turkey mixture. Top with 5 noodles, remaining cheese mixture and one-fourth of the sausage mixture. Top with remaining 5 noodles and remaining sausage mixture.
- 4 Cover and cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.
- 5 Sprinkle top of lasagna with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into pieces
When you bake the lasagna in the oven you get the nice crisp outside pieces. Same goes for this in the slow cooker. I loved the flavor of this. The meat stayed nice and moist.
A lot of people may shy away from making lasagna because it seems like it takes a lot of time. But it really doesn’t. I don’t think it does either way you make it, in the oven or the slow cooker. I have a large size cooker, so I wasn’t sure if this would be too much and we’d have left overs. But there was one piece left!! Pretty good if I do say so myself!!
Patricia – Two Girls Cooking 😉