Winter is finally here in Minnesota. We got some snow this week. And when you have cold and snow, what’s better than great comfort food? Chili is one of the best comfort foods for me. I’ve made chili a few different ways. Almost the same as my home made spaghetti, but when I found this recipe on Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake the salsa struck me as something that would really add the best flavor to the best comfort food.
I made some moderations to the recipe and used fresh garlic over the garlic salt. I added about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and instead of an entire jar of regular salsa, I used a 1/2 a jar of salsa verde and along with the regular kind. Then what’s even better with chili is the butter biscuits that go along with it. So I combined them both together and came up with the Chili Cups.
- 1 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa – I used 1/2 jar regular salsa and 1/2 jar salsa verde’
- 4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can of buttermilk biscuits
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground turkey, garlic, the onion and and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. No grease to drain with the turkey meat.
- Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Press 1 biscuit onto bottom and up side of each of two muffin cups. I baked the biscuits for a few minutes then took the pan out of the oven and molded the dough better to the sides of each cup. I poured in some spoonfuls of chili and baked until the dough was browned.
I made the extra biscuits to eat the remaining chili with. I sprayed the top of them with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkled some garlic salt over the top.
I put some shredded cheddar cheese on top of the chili with a bit of sour cream to top it off. This is the best chili. I wish I could take credit for it! My hat goes off to Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake.
I am so glad I have left overs for tomorrow. I’ll eat this for lunch so I don’t have to share!!
Have a great weekend.
Patricia – Two Girls Cooking