A couple of days ago Craig and I were talking about what to have for dinner. I try to include him in the meal planning since he has a “different” taste for dinner than I do. We saw a commercial for Taco Bell – which I am NOT a fan of, but he likes their Chalupas. So I found a recipe online on how to make them.
I’m not sure how Taco Bell or any other restaurant gets them in the taco shape because I had a rough time with that. Craig even helped roll them out and cooked them. This one in the picture he got to fold in half, but then it fell apart.
I think it turned out pretty good. I might add some different spices to the breading next time. But for our first time, these turned out pretty good!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (I used salt free butter)
- 1 cup milk
- oil (for deep frying)
- Here’s what you do:
- To make Indian Fry Bread Mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in shortening; then add milk.
- Shape dough into a long cylinder; cut into 8 equal parts.
- Flour hands, then work the pieces into 6″ tortillas.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- I used ground turkey for the taco meat and added our favorite toppings (meat, sour cream, cheese, onions and some hot sauce). If Craig wasn’t eating I may have had some refried beans and black olives!!
- I wonder if Taco Bell would tell me how they get theirs to fold over while frying!!!!!
- Have a great weekend.